Monday, November 16, 2009

Yanggaw: Another Point of View

I am supposed to summarized the movie before I will give you my comments but since I don't like the task of summarizing, I decided not to do it. I will give you my critique/comment/reaction of the movie after watching it. I want to watch the movie for the second time so that I can review it well but since I don't have the pleasure, I will leave it to other critique.

The movie is a good depiction of a rural lifestyle of a Filipino family. A typical family which can easily enjoy with little things and little oppurtunities in life. A good story/myth about the view of Filipino about witches has been presented in the movie similar to what I heard from my grandparents. The bamboo shoots relation to the witch season's attack, how the witch is actually infected and the witch doctor involvement and the questionable knowledge they know.

On the other hand, the movie must have been realistic if they emphasis on the news about the attack of the 'aswang' to the community. In fact, when someone died of questionable cause, especially what has been presented in the movie, one factor must considered to be the caused is aswang attack. The people in the movie don't have an opinion about this; instead they think it was the thief which is not enough reason for the evidence on the bodies of the victim.

I am not convince also that the aswang will attack her family members since the culture tells us that aswang does not attack even neighbor. That is supported by the saying "Maayo pa makasilingan ug aswang kay dili mangunay ug silingan kaysa kawatan."

The role of being a father and how he loves his family members and to keep them in his care is well presented in the movie. The actor itself is very well suited for the role. The heart of being a father and how it will handle things in this movie is too disturbing that instead of living in normal life, you will do things you've never done just to retain your family.

No comments: